The Assessor's Office is currently taking the recommended precautions in order to protect residents and staff as a result of Covid-19. Please call or email ahead of time to schedule an appointment. Answers to many of your assessment questions can be found on this website, but we can assist you by phone or email during our normal office hours.
ELDERLY BENEFITS NOTE: IF YOU ARE A NEW APPLICANT, PER THE OFFICE OF POLICY AND MANAGEMENT (OPM), ANY NEW FILER WISHING TO APPLY AFTER MAY 15th MUST REQUEST AN EXTENSION OF TIME TO APPLY FROM OPM ON OR BEFORE AUGUST 15TH. REQUESTS FOR EXTENSION FOR COVID-19 RELATED REASONS WILL BE APPROVED FOR THE STATE APPLICATION.
RENTERS REBATE NOTE: BEGINNING JUNE 1, WE EXPECT TO BE OPEN BY APPOINTMENT ONLY. PLEASE CALL THE OFFICE TO SCHEDULE YOUR APPOINTMENT FOR THE RENTERS REBATE APPLICATIONS. THE APPLICATION PERIOD IS OPEN UNTIL OCT 1, 2020.
The Assessor’s Office is responsible for the following:
- The discovery, listing and equitable valuation of all real, personal property and motor vehicles within the Town of Barkhamsted in accordance with Connecticut State Statutes
- Annually provides a Grand List of all taxable property within the Town of Barkhamsted
- Maintains an up-to-date inventory of all properties, including land and improvements thereon, changes in ownership, new construction, alterations and subdivisions filed as of the assessment date
- Annually inspects and values all permit activity within the town limits of Barkhamsted
The Assessor's Office administers the following:
- State and local programs of tax relief, apply exemptions as permitted by state law (Veterans, Disabled, Blind, Elderly Tax Relief, etc.) and assist the public with a variety of inquires
- Adjust Motor Vehicle assessments that have either been sold, stolen, salvaged or registered out of State
- Every 5 years conduct a Revaluation of all Real Estate as defined by State Statutes
Questions concerning assessed value, adjustments, exemptions, tax relief and improper motor vehicle tax billings should be directed to the Assessor’s Office at (860) 379-3600.
Questions regarding billing, tax balances due, amounts paid and interest should be directed to the Tax Collector’s Office at (860) 738-4762.