The Assessor’s primary responsibility is the compilation of all taxable and exempt property in the Town of Barkhamsted. The Assessor's office is also responsible to ensure that all property is fairly and equitably assessed. If you believe your assessment is inaccurate, please contact us and we will try to assist you prior to filing an appeal.
The Assessor’s Office is responsible for the following:
- The discovery, listing and equitable valuation of all real, personal property and motor vehicles within the Town of Barkhamsted in accordance with Connecticut State Statutes
- Annually provides a Grand List of all taxable property within the Town of Barkhamsted
- Maintains an up-to-date inventory of all properties, including land and improvements thereon, changes in ownership, new construction, alterations and subdivisions filed as of the assessment date
- Annually inspects and values all permit activity within the town limits of Barkhamsted
The Assessor's Office administers the following:
- State and local programs of tax relief, apply exemptions as permitted by state law (Veterans, Disabled, Blind, Elderly Tax Relief, etc.) and assist the public with a variety of inquires
- Adjust Motor Vehicle assessments that have either been sold, stolen, salvaged or registered out of State
- Every 5 years conduct a Revaluation of all Real Estate as defined by State Statutes
Questions concerning assessed value, adjustments, exemptions, tax relief and improper motor vehicle tax billings should be directed to the Assessor’s Office at (860) 379-3600.
Questions regarding billing, tax balances due, amounts paid and interest should be directed to the Tax Collector’s Office at (860) 738-4762.