Veteran's Discharge Papers


Under CT Statute Sec. 27-103, the definitions for "Armed Forces", except as otherwise provided, means the United States Army, Navy, Marine Corps, Coast Guard, Air Force and any reserve component thereof, including the Connecticut National Guard performing duty as provided in Title 32 of the United States Code.  A "veteran" means any person honorably discharged from or released under honorable conditions from active service in the armed forces.

A veteran's discharge records (DD-214) may be filed at no charge in the Town Clerk's Office and under some circumstances may serve to qualify for tax relief with the Assessor's Office.  To receive that exemption on the assessed value of your real estate or personal property, you must file your original DD-214 certificate (separation papers from active duty) with the Town Clerk in the town you currently reside.  If you no longer own your original, a certified copy that was previously filed in another town will be acceptable.  You can also request duplicate copies of your DD-214 from the National Personnel Records Center at this website.  The Assessor will then determine based on your time of service what applicable tax relief you are entitled to receive.